Tiny brag to share about Swyatt. Let me preface this with Sophie picked up flyball in the span of like two weeks (not literally but it was fast). It was insanely easy to train her in the fundamentals of it. We struggled with passing later but she got the game fast.
Swy on the other hand…I know he will be fast once it all cements in his mind. He is very agile and speedy. But omg there is noooo focus He is a complete spazz at practice. Recalls is never an issue, he runs right at me without fail. But running away from me requires focus and usually he prefers to smell the flowers or chase the bugs.
I know he can retrieve, he is insane at home about retrieving. I know he can launch himself off things because the couch and people are usually his springboard. But ask for any of this in a public setting, especially one where either dogs have been and you might as well be talking to the wall. I know he is a different dog than Sophie and he is young so I give him leeway.
This past saturday Swy finally did dead ball retrieves over all four jumps to the box and back to me, off leash in a new setting. We set up a one lane course away from the ring and worked with him during our downtime. Three short training sessions (i think 10mins max). And he was flying over the jumps, grabbing his ball and flying back to me. It was awesome! I am hoping by Septemeber, he will be ready for preflight (practice of any sort in the ring for green dogs by themselves/no racing)
By the fourth training session, he was back to following his nose. Regardless I am thrilled with the focus he did show. We will keep working with him (we still need to add tons of factors in like other dogs, noises etc) and give him to mature but once he puts it all together, he is going to be awesome!!!!
Ohh and I had the opportunity to meet Crystal from So Fly. Can't wait to see the photos you took!
No comments:
Post a Comment