Just when I think I can't love my rhino anymore she does something that keeps me smiling for days.
Sophie hasn't been around too many kids in her life. My fault, I know. But none of my friends have children and only recently has our extended family grown to include kids.
She has interacted with older kids on our team and loves to show off her tricks and retrieve for them. But babies and toddlers, she hasn't seen much of them.
She met my 9 month old niece at a flyball tournament in late May (picture below). Did just fine with her but the baby was strapped into her stroller and not really doing much. Sophie was also exhausted from racing.
Well yesterday my cousin and niece came over to the house for a visit. I made Sophie hold a down stay on her bed while we settled everyone on to couches and got refreshments. My cousin brought my niece out of her carrier and was holding her. Sophie just laid down content to look.
Then I picked up my niece....thats when the barking started. Not menacing or alert barks but the "i want attention too barks" her tail was wagging and it was killing her to keep the down stay but she did.
So I gave her the release and she came over to see what I was carrying in my arms. My niece lives with 2 large dogs and is used to dogs. I was a little nervous, I haven't had her interact with babies but my cousin was much more relaxed and said to let her sniff. Sophie came right up and started sniffing my niece. The baby was laughing and cooing. So Sophie proceeded to start licking her hand and toes which had the baby giggling even more.
Next thing we know Sophie is licking her face. Tail wagging and goofy lab grin on her face, she would sit when asked and then as soon as she could she would go back to giving the baby licks. It was hilarious and very cute.
Also a very big relief. I would obviously never leave her alone with my niece or any child but it was a huge relief to see her interact so well. For all her crazy energy, she was a gentle giant with my niece which was heart warming!
My cousin and her husband asked me to be the baby's godmother. I am very touched and honored. It also means Sophie will get to see the baby quite often and give kisses to her heart's content :-D


It is so scary introducing them to children, isn't it? We have yet to introduce Meadow to little ones, and I'm not looking forward to it when we do. I'm so glad your experience went well - it sure sounds as if Sophie likes children! :-)
ReplyDeleteYay Sophie!! My dogs love babies, but Delilah will growl at them (not menacing but a 'you're in my space' kind of growl.) Sampson usually just wants to lick them. LOL
ReplyDelete