Ok, I need to get back on track with blogging and reading my favorite blogs!
I started a new job a month ago so things were in upheaval but finally getting back to routine now.
Sophie has been doing well! We had our first flyball tournament of the year last weekend which went great. Lots of hiking in addition to flyball training. Overall a great start to 2013 (photos to follow)
Unfortunately this past sunday, after an awesome saturday of off leash hiking and a good flyball practice, Sophie got injured.
She was playing fetch with a few of the other team dogs. When her and a schnauzer collided. The two of them seemed to be playing chicken one going for the ball and one coming back to hand over the ball. Neither swerved until the absolute last second...a game I have seen Sophie play before....but this time the swerve was too late. The schnauzer and Sophie collided with Sophie taking the brunt of the impact on her rear left leg.
I was a few feet away picking up after Sophie when I heard a loud awful squeal. I turned around in time to see Sophie roll and then struggle to get up. Worse sound ever. I wanted to throw up when I realized it was her.
I rushed over to her and she got her up. She wouldn't put weight on her leg. My teammates jumped into action, herding kids and other dogs away so I could attend to Sophie. They fed her chicken to distract her (she actually followed a teammate trying to get chicken and thats when we saw she wasn't bearing weight) Massage and some time, she eventually put some weight on it. Walked around a bit but was limping.
I got her home and she seems to be doing ok. A little tender but walking. The limp is pronounced when she first gets up from resting. Then once she walks around a bit it seem to go away. Plan is to keep an eye on her and enforce some rest. If there isn't progress in the next few days then off to the vet for xrays etc.
Here is hoping its nothing more than a sore leg and that I never have to hear that sound from her again. Broke my heart and added a few grey hairs to my head.
Oh, hope her leg heals up nicely without any need for the vet!
ReplyDeleteGet well soon Sophie! There is no worse feeling than seeing your pup unwell or in distress. I hope she recovers quickly and will return to full play in no time :)
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading your blog more!
Rach xxx
Dogs and kids, they have a way of making your hair gray!
ReplyDeleteI do hope she's on the mend and back to herself soon. :-)
Oh no....I hope it heals up on its own and is nothing serious.
ReplyDelete