Swy running recalls over jumps
To be honest, I struggled a little with how much to admit in this post. I love my little guy so very much! Please do not get me wrong, I am so happy we found him. He has so many great qualities. But he has a few issues that I was not expecting.
He has some separation anxiety which is getting better to a degree but I am very thankful we do not live in an apt complex or his howls in crate would have had us kicked out long ago. His distress in the crate has gotten so much better than when he first came home but he still has some issues. We can't leave him uncrated because he counter surfs and if its clean, he hops up on tables just to look around. (Its rather hilarious but also a problem!)
He is very nervous when we are outside in our yard if he hears a dog bark. Which in turn also manifests itself as leash reactiveness when we are on walks. It is something we can work on (we did with Sophie) and will but in all honesty, I wasn't ready for a second reactive dog. Sophie can be walked by just me with another dog if the other dog isn't reactive. I have taken her and my friend's lab hiking on leash alone with no issue. She has made great strides in her reactivity. But Swyatt's reactivity means, I can NOT walk them by myself. They need separate handlers.
It is no ones fault, in hindsight while the rescue had him 5 months and felt they knew him well, there really was no way for them to know him. They didn't have foster homes available so he was kenneled for those 5 months. He didn't interact with other dogs much and no one has a clue what his previous history is.
He is a work in progress and I am fully committed to getting him to a place where he is calmer, more confident and ok on leash. I love him! He makes me laugh! He has such a silly personality and is excited by the smallest things. I can't help but smile when I see him chase a lemon or pounce on a toy.
![]() |
| My rhinos. Courtesy of the daycare…how they got Swyatt to sit still for a photo is a mystery!! |



I had to comment on this one -- I know exactly what you mean. I had a similar experience with my new little guy. My other two dogs have some reactivity issues, so I dreamt that my third dog would be Mr. Perfect-No-Reactivity. I soon realized that this was not the case -- he was hyper alert when he'd hear a dog bark, and he'd start growling back with hackles raised. When he sees a dog during a neighbourhood walk, there is also some reactivity. I went through a period of time where I couldn't walk my two older dogs and the new guy at the same time and that was really sucky, so I feel your pain! Took some time to figure things out, but now 9 times out of 10 when he hears a dog bark or sees a dog while on a walk, he looks to me for a treat. Oodles better than when he first came to me. And like Swyatt, he came from a shelter situation rather than a foster situation, so they really couldn't know what he would be like in normal day to day situations like that. Anyway, I'm lucky that he's only situationally reactive and in most situations is totally fine with dogs, but still there was an adjustment/acceptance period and like you, I totally love my dog and wouldn't trade him for the world. Hang in there -- you've got a great dog and he's got a great family -- things will only get better!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience
DeleteNo judgement from these quarters. Felix has separation anxiety...and noise anxiety...and anxiety anxiety and we DO live in an apartment. Learning how to manage his problems is a challenge and not a welcome one. I love him to pieces and wouldn't change him for anything in the world, but I sure wish I could have him issue free. Admitting that doesn't make me a bad dog Mom, nor does it make you one. It makes us smart enough to know that everyone - canine and human - will be happier once these issues are addressed. Our dogs are lucky we're willing to help them get there.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I feel better about having shared how I am struggling.
DeleteRemember the key to making their behavior problems lessen = BEER. The more you have, the less you notice it! Yea, problem solved!
ReplyDeleteThey're all "works in progress" - just some to more of a degree than others.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Jennifer Jo's approach. I've always said that if I just took the prozac, instead of giving it to my dog, things might not seem so bad. ;-)
Good luck though - I'm sure you'll work thru - and by the way - congrats on the FMX!
You know I can sympathize with the SA!!! have you tried baby gating him off in a room where he can get in less trouble, like maybe just the bedroom? I know crates make it much worse for Vito, but I'm lucky he's not destructive. I still gate him off from the front of the house where there's more noises for him to react to.
ReplyDelete