Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Gotcha Day Little Man!

A whole year has flown by. I still can't believe how fast it went. It seems like yesterday that I loaded Sophie into the car and drove 6 hours south to meet a bouncy, silly, energetic yellow lab.

First picture I saw of Swyatt (tka Wyatt)

On the drive down south, I was a bundle of nerves with 500 things running through my mind. Could I handle two dogs? Was I messing up Sophie's happy life by bringing home a second dog? I never considered adopting a dog that wasn't a puppy. I worried that I wouldn't bond with them as I had raising Sophie from puppyhood on.  Like I said, 500 things were running through my mind.

We got to the boarding facility the rescue had Swyatt housed. The owner of the facility brought him out to meet us. This little yellow bundle of energy. He instantly ran up to us and started giving kisses and trying to jump in our laps. It was love at first sight! The worries I had did not disappear but for the moment they were silenced.

First walk together

He met Sophie shortly thereafter. And miracle, Sophie did not react even though she was on leash and Swyatt jumped on her. We took a walk and planned to meet the next day for an off leash meeting. Off leash meeting completed and off we went, two labs in the car….100s of worries running through my mind.
Tongue hanging out after running like a loon. Soph looking at me as if to say "What is his problem??"

Those first few weeks and months were tough. Swy had no social manners and tons of energy. He was nervous about somethings and fearless about others. The number of times that I thought "oh what I have I gotten myself into" were high but those puppy eyes would look up at me and that tail would wag nonstop and I knew we would make it work.
Sit still….nah!
It has been 12 months and I can say all the angst and craziness of the first few months was worth it. Swyatt has come a long way. He still has his moments where he makes me want to tear my hair out but then again so does Sophie. LOL

The daycare says he is a completely different dog than when he first came in. He even shows the new dogs the ropes. Sophie and him get along and are even starting to play a little. His anxiety still occurs but we are working on it and he has made lots of progress.

Swy, it took a few years to find you and those first few months were rocky but I have no doubt that you were meant to be part of our family. Love you little man and excited for what the future will bring :-)




3 comments:

  1. Wow has it been a year already? Doesn't time fly when you are having fun? ;-)

    I remember those first crazy weeks, months, years. WHAT am I talking about, Delilah still has her moments! But it really was worth it. They really are so amazing!

    Happy belated Gotcha day, Swyatt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha Day Swyatt :) Hope you had a good day celebrating. Milo & Jet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Gotcha Day, Swyatt!! We hope you had wonderful day of celebrating your big day. Thanks for the share. Have a wonderful day.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...