Our obedience class started up again last week after a few month hiatus. I switched us to a Monday evening class because Saturdays are already full with agility and flyball.
First class was a bit of a mess. Sophie was tired from a flyball tournament weekend and not really in the mood to heel. She kept offering a down and wanting to eat grass. I left class early since she was so obviously tired.
Fast forward to yesterday. We got to class early and did some practice heeling. The instructor commented on Sophie's attention. Soph has always watched me very closely. I have always rewarded her attention and now more so as we train for Rally and work on her leash reactiveness.
I told the instructor, we work hard to keep her focused to avoid any reactivity. Especially important at flyball tournaments, lots of noisy barking dogs and high energy levels, I want Sophie to focus on me and relax. The instructor said I was doing a good job as she had not seen Sophie react before (famous last words huh?)
Class went well. We had no reactivity toward other dogs. She was offering to find the dog and then look to me for her reward. She had good attention, heeling, turns, stays etc. She even managed to stay in her stand position which has been hard for her.
Of course by now it is 8:20ish and dark. Another instructor approached the class, Sophie gets nervous when she can't see well and shadows definitely set her off. Well, instructor moving out of the shadows definitely set off my pup last night. Lots of barking and raised hackles.
I should have noticed it and moved her away but I froze. I am so used to working with her around dogs and keeping her focused that I forgot other things make her react. The instructor told me to walk her away and calm her down.
I let myself get frazzled/tense and I know she picks up on that. It occurred one more time when another person approached in the dark (someone else approached from near the streetlight and she was not fazed. It is just someone appearing out of the dark).
I am so proud of the progress she has made being around dogs when she is leashed. I guess I just needed last night to remind me that we still have work ahead of us. I also need to be faster to react and move her away when she reacts. It is all a learning process for both of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment