Friday, May 27, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Sophie and I have a busy weekend ahead. Agility class tomorrow, a nice long hike on Sunday and Flyball practice on Monday. Then next weekend we have a flyball tournament! My parents will be coming to watch Sophie run so hopefully I can get them to take pictures for me.

A post on the lab board I frequent made me think what my most memorable moment is with Soph:

I have so many memories of the little monster, both good and bad LOL. But the one that stands out the most to me is the first time I took her swimming. I went with a friend and her two older labradors, both fantastic swimmers. We let them all play fetch on land. Sophie has always been fast and was immensely enjoying fetch on land.

Then we moved to fetch in the water. The other two labs saw the ball hit the water and took off. Sophie followed until she a few steps in she realized she was in the water. She immediately backed up and proceeded to whine. She whined and whined until the other two dogs came back. The ball was thrown again and she would wade and then whine.

This went on for awhile. Sophie was less than pleased that she was not retrieving. But she was too nervous to swim. So she came up with a plan b.




Wait until the younger of the two labs came back and steal his toy. Then return to us with the toy. She stalked the edge of the beach and would steal his toy every time and run to us "look I did it, I retrieved the toy"

I knew in that moment that I had a) a very silly puppy and b) a very smart puppy. She has since learned to swim. Still not her favorite thing in the world but she doesn't just stand on the edge waiting for others to retrieve anymore.


If you want to read some more memorable moments: Lab Board Memorable Moments

So, what is your most memorable moment with your pup?

4 comments:

  1. Sophie was about 13 months before she actually swam. It was hilarious to watch her first few swims. Her head was as high as she could get it while she paddled with her front paws and her back end sank. She figured it out eventually and is now pretty speedy in the water.

    My parents have a pool but she is not interested in it, unless another dog is playing in the water. Then she will swim too. She prefers natural bodies of water, diva that she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koira didn't swim until she was over a year old, then finally another dog at the park taught her how to. Pallo just recently started swimming. When I first got him, he didn't even want to get his feet wet at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Memorial Weekend

    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...