2011 has been a busy year for us. I have really enjoyed starting this blog and finding so many wonderful like minded dog owners through the blogging world!
Now on to our recap:
Flyball: We started off the year with our new team. It has been a learning curve for all of us to get our team up and running. Adjusting the dogs to new boxes, new lines up and just the logistics of it all. But I think our first year has been successful.
Titles achieved by our dogs this year:
Onyx: 3
FMCH:3
FM: 2
FDCH-G:3
FDCH-S:2
FDCH: 4
We didn't get to go to as many tournaments as I would have liked. I had a lot of weddings to attend this year (it really seemed like everyone I knew was getting married). But Sophie did get her FDCH-G title and we have gotten some great start times!
She has had significant progress in her passing. She is getting more comfortable with passing into a dog when the dog exits the lanes. Her box still needs work and I am a little frustrated as we have tried multiple methods and nothing seems to stick.
Agility: We competed in our first agility trial this year wohoo!!! I have to say at the beginning of 2011, I did not see us making it to a trial. Sophie was hit or miss with the dog walk, forget the teeter and weaves. But our first trial went well. We had fun and even got some Qs!
Her dog walk is great! She is getting better with the teeter. It really depends on the day, some days she flys over it and other days she hesitates. It is only at half height but that is a lot of progress from earlier this year. Weaves are the same, she can do a full 12 set weaves, no wires and closed but sometimes she enters on the wrong foot and pops out before all 12. If she enters on her left foot then she is fine.
Rally/Obedience: Unfortunately we did not get to any Rally trials this year. I tried to sign us up for numerous ADPT trials and run through but we always got wait listed.
Obedience classes have been going really well. Sophie heels like a champ and has both left and right finishes. We are working on drop on recall and left quarter turns as we still need work there. We will be taking a rally class starting in January and hope to make it to a rally trial in 2012.
Misc: I am so proud of all the progress Sophie has made with her leash reactivity. She still has her moments but she really is a different dog. And I think in many ways I am a different handler. I learned so much from her about my own reactions/worry and how to control them. I hope to continue growing us a team and having fun.
Our 2011 goal list
1) Continue to work on Sophie's box turn We still have work to do. Need to find a technique that works for her.
2) Work on our starts so we are more consistent I am happy to report that for the most part we are doing pretty well with this one! Could use more work but so far so good
3) Learn to pass when a dog is coming out of the lanes Making good progress on this. Right now still sticking to flat parallel running but moving to lane running soon.
4)Continue to work on leash reactivity and "Look at that" game Could not be more happy with our progress. To be able to stand in Pet Food Express for over an hour waiting for Santa with other dogs around while she patiently sat next to me was a dream come true.
5) Take advantage of the hiking trails in our area and explore Hope to explore new trails in the future but we definitely enjoyed our nearby trail
6) Work on recall in high distraction areas like the beach. We never made it to the beach this year (lots of weddings) but worked on this a lot in agility and obedience class.
7) Participate in the October walk for K9 Cancer didn't make it. I chickened out at the last minute worried about Sophie in a big crowed. But I think we can do it next year!
8) conquer the teeter! work in progress!
9)earn first leg of rally novice title Couldn't get in to a trial :-\
10) have fun! accomplished!
Sounds like you guys have made some good progress over the past year.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I'm shocked that APDT is so big in your area that there are wait lists!!! Very small trials here in MN but I love APDT.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear your plans for 2012!
That is wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteI got to see flyball when I was in Florida and thought you both!!
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!
ReplyDeleteSure sounds like you had a busy year and accomplished many goals. And you have next year to work on the ones you did not get to this year. As I always tell my hubbie, dog training is a hobby, not a race. :)
Congratulations! It sounds like you have had a pretty awesome year! I wish I could say Shiva's progress has been half as far. Maybe next year I'll have something to brag about... Maybe... :-P I can't wait to read about how things go for you in the New year!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations :-)
ReplyDeleteYou have had a stellar year and can only imagine what you and Sophie will accomplish in 2012! Way to go!!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!