Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A little frustrated

A little frustrated so I apologize ahead of time for the venting

I really want to go the rescue route. I mulled it over for the last two years. I even talked to a breeder and gotten her blessing to be on her wait list. But I just felt the rescue route was where my heart lay.

I have now worked with two rescues and am frustrated. The first was a great organization and it just didn't work. I might have felt differently if I could meet the dog in person but given the distance constraints I felt comfortable relying on my friend's information after meeting the puppy (8months). The foster's information was slightly different but I just think she didn't understand how chaotic flyball environments are and how a timid dog well not fare well there.

The second rescue wouldn't even consider me because I work an 8-5 job. I was looking at a 7 month old Aussie. High energy dog which I understand given my very high energy Lab/Shepherd Mix. I tried to explain to the rescue that while I work an 8-5, my father is home by 3pm and my mother would be coming home during lunch breaks. That means the puppy would be crated for 2 sessions of maybe 3-4 hours a piece which is do-able for a 7 almost 8 month old dog. In addition there would be daycare at least once a week, long walks, tons of classes and dog sports. This worked great for Sophie and granted some nights walks had to be longer than others but my very high energy dog survived.

Well the rescue said it was an unstructured plan and I was an unsuitable home for a young dog. I didn't know how it was to raise an energetic dog and I should just be content with my one dog and all the stuff we do.

While I respect their decision, it is their rescue after all, I am upset that she would make a broad based assumption that I can't handle a high energy dog because I work. She didn't bother to ask how we handled Sophie even though in our application I said she was high energy hence the activities. In addition, I was offended that she felt it was her place to tell me to be content with one dog. I did not ask for your opinion or blessing on adding a second dog to my family. It is not something I am doing lightly. I have thought about it for a long time and am making every effort to find a good match.

Furthermore yes being crated for long periods of time isn't ideal but most people who get puppies aren't home 24/7.  And the puppy was never going to be crated for more than 3-4hrs.

So I am back to square one and feeling a little downtrodden :-(

5 comments:

  1. How do they ever adopt dogs out if they won't adopt to people who work full time jobs? Most people have to work to pay for a roof over their head, pay all the bills, and earn money to do the fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that was the thing, she even said maybe an older dog but frankly, I don't think you have the bandwith for two dogs and should be content with the one and your activities. :-\

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so angry... And it's one of the most popular reasons why so many people go on to buy from breeders.

    You have the experience most puppy-buyers don't. That should count for something.

    I hope you don't give up on rescue. :( So sorry for this experience. Two years is a long time to mull over having another dog, you will find the perfect match. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the kind of thing that really makes me angry! Judging the home without really understanding the dynamics of what goes on.

    I know it is discouraging but I also know there are rescues that have dogs in your area in foster, you just have to keep looking if rescue is really where your heart lies.

    If you want me to do some research for you, please send me a private e-mail jodi@heartlikeadog.com and I will see if I can help get you in touch with some good people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly that puppy is much better off spending time in rescue so that it grows older and doesn't have its own home and then when it is 2 years old and still in rescue it will be passed over for the puppies. If that puppy is lucky it will still be in the rescue at 4 instead of in a home. (Yes I am being sarcastic.)

    Have you tried writing a letter to the director of the rescue? If you really want the dog do not give up. Write a letter which very clearly says why you want the dog and list your qualifications as a pet owner and all of the things that you do with your current dog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...