Monday, September 17, 2012

The search continues

Update on our search for another fur kid:

A friend that was in Dallas visiting family offered to meet the 9 month old puppy for me. I had some reservations after speaking with the foster. The puppy sounded like she was very timid. While I know any new pup/dog will take time to adjust to our life/family and may end up never competing in sports, they still need to be comfortable in that environment because Sophie competes. From what I had been told, the puppy was very scared meeting new people and new dogs and while she got along great with the foster's 4 labradors, she had not met many other dogs in her 9 months.

My friend confirmed my reservations. The pup with time and work would probably learn to tolerate the noisy flyball environment, constantly meeting new people and dogs but she would likely never enjoy it or thrive in it. Given that Sophie and I travel at least once a month if not more, it would not be fair to put that puppy in that environment.

I have withdrawn my application for her but hear a local family has expressed an interest in her. I hope she finds her forever home soon!

So I am still on the look out for my next fur kid. I have contacted a few rescues in the area about a few dogs. Waiting to hear on them. :-)

In the meantime, Sophie and I are hiking a lot and enjoying the last few weeks of summer weather.

3 comments:

  1. Such a hard thing finding the right dog. I think we just got lucky with Delilah. :-) You'll find him/her, just keep an open heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding the perfect pup for your life is kind of like picking a mate. You might go through a whole lot of Mr. Wrongs before you find Mr (or Miss) Right. When it's the right one, you'll just know! Keep on searching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that you are being so choosey to get the right fit for your family. If everyone did that, so many dogs wouldn't end up in shelters. I bet that perfect dog is out there somewhere, and any day now you will find them. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...