Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Baby steps - flyball training

I know we still have a long ways to go but I am so proud of Swyatt.

We still haven't signed up for flyball classes but figured we would work something at practice.

So this past Sunday we tried recalls (this is only his second practice. We have had lots of tournaments lately.) We did them on flat and he happily raced back and forth between me and a teammate. He even called off a bird with a stern EHH COME from my teammates. Super stoked and surprised!

So we upped the ante and had him run recalls over the jumps. The first time he ran over one and then out. So we moved to doing just one jump, then two, then three and finally all four. By the end of practice, he was flying over the jumps to various handlers. He was pulling to run and very excited.

Like I said, we have a long ways to go but recalls over jumps while outside with distractions is huge for my spazzy boy!! 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really great start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good start to me

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that things aren't quite where you'd like them with Sophie -- I hope things look up soon. Glad that your new guy is such a keener! Sure is fun taking a new dog through the steps of learning something like flyball, eh!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...