Monday, June 13, 2011

When do you know if they are ready?

Sophie and I have been taking obedience classes on and off her whole life. We have been with our current trainer for over a year now. We are in the class for Novice Obedience Competition. This is our second time taking it because I like the instructor and it fits our schedule. The class adapts to the dog's level of ability and a few of us are taking it for the second/third time so it isn't all novice obedience anymore. The eventual goal is to compete for her CD.

But first I want to give Rally a try. There is a competition in August with the AKC. I just don't know how to know if we are ready. Her instructor seems to think we should be fine so maybe its more a hang up with me than Sophie.


On a separate note, we had a nice relaxing weekend. Sophie went to agility class on Saturday. She did the A Frame at full height without thinking twice. Still no teeter but we are working on it. Sunday, I spent the afternoon at a local agility trial taking pictures. I will post some once I get around to editing them :-)

5 comments:

  1. we want to try rally with Baily :)

    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO impressed with how much you do with Sophie!

    And I'm sure that if you've gone through Novice O several times, Rally shouldn't be difficult by any means. Honestly, Rally, while it has its own rules and whatnot, seems to me to be less intense. But I am by no means qualified to say that, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing well with training, just have a go is the best way to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is the entry fee? If it isn't too much might it be worth it to see how she does?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, in my opinion... you never know if you are ready until you go into the competition ring. The trial is a test of your training. You train the best you can, then you go into the trial and you see where your training is. Then you video and write notes and go back to training to fix the things that need fixing. :) That is how I do it, anyway.

    I thought Jet was ready for obedience because in training his heeling was very nice. But once in the ring, he didn't seem to know what we were doing! So, back to training for us, he's not ready!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...