Friday, May 24, 2013

3 weeks fly by

I can't believe it has been almost  3 weeks since Swyatt joined our household

Things are going well for the most part. He is a very sweet and energetic boy.

We have started obedience classes and are clicker training at home which he seems to get pretty quickly. He is learning to focus even when there are other dogs and distractions.
He went to his first flyball practice this past sunday. I don't plan on any flyball training right now, we need basic obedience first. I mostly want him to get accustomed to the environment, time in his crate and my teammates.

We brought him out to work on recalls while on a long lead. The team stands in a circle and calls him, treats when he reaches them. He did a great job. We upped it by having teammates turn him around and hold him like you would if you lined up to race. He allowed everyone to hold him and did wonderfully. We had him recalling to his tug at the end of the practice which was awesome to see! I am very excited for his future flyball prospects.

The daycare reports that he is improving greatly in his dog to dog social manners. Big sigh of relief! I see some improvement at home in his approaching Sophie. Unfortunately, she is still not to keen on his presence. She tolerates him and is somewhat interested in playing but doesn't appreciate his exuberance. Which is ironic given he has a similar play style to her. We are taking it slow and giving her space to grow accustomed to him. He is learning leave her means turn away. Always a useful command!!

He has made significant progress in learning to like his crate. Thanks to the help of some frozen stuffed kongs, dap diffuser and collar :-)


Overall things are going pretty well. I am hopefully that eventually Sophie will want to play with him (fingers crossed) but baby steps!

He will be hanging out our flyball tournament this weekend and getting lots of exposure to the environment and new dogs/people.

Wish us luck!!!

3 comments:

  1. He is so adorable!

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second picture is SO vizsla. Do you know for sure what he is? I think he may have some Vizsla in him, which would account for the lap dog thing too. He is a cutie
    Anna
    www.akginspiration.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I was actually thinking that yesterday. We walked by a vizla and Swyatt's frame and head sort of remind me of a vizla (at least profile wise). We have no certainty what he is, he was picked up as a stray so the shelter and rescue said best guess was lab mix.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...