The title says it all! This is my blog about how two crazy labradors have changed my life forever! I hope to write a little about our adventures in flyball, agility, obedience and in general my life with Sophie and Swyatt :-)
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Not nearly Wordless Wed
Sophie after a 1hr30min Agility class and a 5 mile hike.
Her crate is big enough for her, I swear! She just tends to curl into a ball and the angle of the picture is funny.
I finally signed us up for rally fun match on 9/16. I got the check and form out the day after it was posted so I am hopeful we nabbed a spot.
We had a wonderful weekend: agility,5 mile hike, flyball and another 5 mile hike.
I had not been to flyball practice in a few weeks. It was nice to get back into practice with my teammates. Sophie had a good practice. We were working on building her speed with handler runs. Handler runs mean another teammate releases her from the start line. I am a few jumps away, as soon as she passes me on the way to the box, I take off running in the opposite direction. It is supposed to cause the dog to push off the box faster so they can chase you.
When we used to do these, Sophie would run over to me and not understand why I was standing to the side and not playing. Now she gets it and races past me and then races to catch me. Usually she outruns me and/or nearly takes me out! My teammate was excited that he was able to run her. Up until now Sophie has refused to run for anyone else. She would stand there looking for me even if I was only a few feet away. Progress for sure!
Our hikes were good. We ran into a lot of dogs on narrow paths and she would sit to the side and wait for her treat. ::HAPPY DANCE::
Labels:
flyball,
handler runs,
hike,
picture,
rally
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Way to go at flyball practice! I might suggest we do something similar at our practice with one of our dogs who is super sluggish off the box, but her handler can't run so well, so we might need to use someone else, even if it wouldn't work quite so good.
ReplyDeleteSometimes, time off is needed and dog and handler get back to it feeling refreshed, renewed, and ready for anything. Sounds like that is exactly what happened with you guys!
We do chase runs at practice and they do seem to help.
ReplyDeleteWe also have a training weekend this week so we can hopefully sort out any 'techinque' issues :-)
A tired dog is a good dog!
ReplyDeleteKari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com
A tired dog is a good dog! LOL glad you had a great time.
ReplyDelete