Saturday was a very long day. We were on site from 7am to 8pm. Our runs were at the very beginning and end.
Measuring went ok. Sophie hopped on the table but kept trying to go into a down. We eventually got her measured at 22.5 inches.
Our first run was a Level 1 Standard (no teeters or weaves): Sophie went out there and rocked it, I managed to keep up lol. She was energetic and focused. She hit all her contacts and didn't hesitate on the dog walk like I worried she would.
We took second place and Q'ed!
Our jumper run was not as clean but we still Q'ed. Sophie stopped to say hello to the person sitting near the tunnel. I managed to regain her attention and get back on course. We had one more snafu on a jump before the pinwheel but I was able to get her back on track.
Our training partner had an equally good first day. Their first standard was an NQ, but their second standard run was great and they took 3rd and Q'ed. Their jumper run was awesome and they took 1st along with their Q.
Sunday's standard run went well. It was clean which after I first saw the map, I wasn't sure we could pull it off. It was more complicated than the day before. But Sophie pulled it off. We Q'ed and took fourth. We also got our CL1-R title :-)
Our jumper's run....well that went how those visions I was having last week. Horse arena, no treats, no collar and a sniffing dog. LOL
She starts off well and then goes off to visit. She wouldn't return when called so I excused us. Of course at that point Sophie runs to the tunnel ready to go. But I learned in flyball to pull them if they don't respond. No playing if you aren't focused and listening. So while it wasn't a great run, I was happy with my decision to pull her instead of continue.
Overall it was a great first weekend! We had a lot of fun and have a list of things I would like to work on before our next trial. I think our next trial will be in January. Our runs far exceeded my expectations for our first trial.
While she does not have the same focus and drive as she does in Flyball, she has a good amount. I think once I become more comfortable handling her and can pick up our speed, it will engage her focus and drive more.

I got tired just reading this!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! You guessed the machine that I referred Sherman correctly! The Bubble Machine!
Yay!! If you could send me an email at mybrownnewfies@aol.com I can send you back the code that you will need for your 25 free Shutterfly cards!
Thanks again for entering!
That sounds like a great first weekend.
ReplyDeletecongrats! sounds like a lot of work but also a lot of fun. good luck with improving her focus!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful weekend!! And hey, who can blame her for a little sniffing...it was a horse arena after all!!! Good choice to pull her though. :-)
ReplyDeleteFabulous! What a great first trial!
ReplyDeleteEvery dog is kinda different when it comes to knowing when to pull off the run or keep trying. Since Sophie was willing to play with you on your other runs and regained attention after sniffing, I think you made the right call by walking her off that one time.
Okay, seriously... I cannot believe those runs were for your first trial!! You guys rocked it all the way. That is insanely impressive! And you doubted yourself... ;-)
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting to watch trials in other countries. The rules and labels for things are so different. I think it's totally unfair you don't have weaves in beginner standard, by the way.
Congratulations!
Thanks everyone! We had a blast. A few issues to work on before our next trial (ie the need to visit and flying off the aframe)
ReplyDeleteKristine: I picked CPE for our first runs because of the lack of weave and tunnel, all other venues have them in the level 1 standards. We are not ready for that yet LOL!