Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Considering first agility trial and a non dog related event

Sophie and I had a nice relaxing weekend. Just one class this weekend and lots of down time.

Agility went really well. Our instructor was thrilled to see her going over the teeter with confidence. She had us move the teeter up to level 2 for a few runs. We will slowly make our way to full height. She encouraged us to sign up for an October CPE Level 1 trial (no teeter or weaves). So I am looking into that as a possibility.

Flyball: Tournament in two weeks. Our second UFli tournament. Looking forward to spending some time with teammates. We have been to two other tournaments at the same location. Both times Sophie had small freak outs while running in the left lane, only the left lane. So I pulled her both times until she was relaxed and willing to run again. This time we have no backups but I made it clear to my team that if I need to pull her, I will and my apologies but I won't make her run if she is uncomfortable. So at least everyone is on the same page.

Obedience classes resume on Saturday. We didn't get into the rally fun match. I sent our entry in the day after registration went up and we are still 3rd on the wait list :-P

I spent Sunday photographing a Peruvian Dance Event. Unfortunately the seating arrangements made it so I had to use my zoom lens and not my new nifty fifty lens. I had a blast watching and photographing the dancers. There are some incredibly talented dancers at this event. Below our a few of my favorite pictures









I have been getting some positive feedback from the contestants and audience at the show so that was nice :-)

The rest of the 400 some odd pictures I took are here:
http://pattycakes.smugmug.com/Dance/Festidanza-2011/19006864_nqJxrD
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Fun! Good luck with the agility trial. Sounds like it would be a good idea to enter just to see what it is like, no pressure. Unless of course there is flyball that weekend...

    Hopefully the left-lane thing doesn't happen. Do you know what is causing Sophie to freak about it? What exactly is she doing? And, it happens sometimes that a team is relying on you but you have to pull your dog. I was running Pallo in Open as the only height dog on a team and he started limping after the first race of the day. The team ran with no height dog for the rest of the day. I felt bad, but no way was I going to risk my dog's wellbeing. You'll do whats right for Sophie and that'll be that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you read my mind as to why I am waiting to sign up for the trial. The team is still determining if we are going to an October tournament and I can't find the email chain with the date of the tournament.

    I have no clue what caused the left lane freak out. The events were months apart so I couldn't determine a link between them except for it being the left lane.

    She would jump out of the lane after the third jump and cautiously approach the box, trigger from the far right and then run back outside the jumps. We walked over the area carefully, checked her paws, mouth. Nothing out of the ordinary. And she was not doing it in the right lane. (our race right after her freak out was in the right lane so I let her run to see if she was ok. We then went back to the left with same results at which point I pulled her.)

    Hoping we don't repeat the issue but if we do then I will pull her from the left lane races and the team can run for exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is strange... Did she ever have a collision with another dog in the left lane? It sounds almost like she thinks something bad will happen to her. Or maybe did a box judge on that side freak her out with a flag or something?

    Here's to hoping it doesn't happen again. No chance of getting an Open dog to run with your team just in case?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No collision. It was really out of the blue, probably half way through the first day of racing. The morning was completely normal.

    That is why I thought it might be she stepped on something but no signs of injury and nothing in the lane. She has never had issues with line judges before and since it was months apart with different judges, I have no clue.

    We jokingly started saying she saw a ghost since she did seem spooked. I am hoping it doesn't occur again but I won't hesitate to pull her if needed.

    We actually have one of our novice dogs come along. He is running singles so if need be we can put him in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some down time is always good!

    Love the pictures that you took of the dancers, especially of the girl with the beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...