Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New Title and Green beans for breakfast!

We had a good flyball weekend! Sophie ran consistently and clean. I always forget the UFli lights are different than NAFA lights so we had a few false starts until I adjusted our starting place.

Our team overall had a good Saturday. We made time and all the dogs got points. Our green dog even stepped in to cover for one of our other dogs after he had a spazzy moment. (Oddly enough his spazzy moment was also in the left lane where Sophie had freaked out at 2 previous tournaments. Still can't figure out what causes them to have issues in that left lane.)

Sophie got her Top Flight 2 and 3 titles on Saturday :-D


On another note, we had someone comment on Sophie and one other dog on our team being overweight :-\

I thought she was an ok weight. She has a definable waist and a tuck up. She is 23 inches at the withers and weighs 68lbs. One vet is happy with her weight and the other wants her to be down to 65lbs max. Their reasoning, same as the other flyball participant is, she is in good shape but she is a performance dog. I ask a lot of her and her body as such she should be carrying a little less weight.

She used to eat 2lbs of Primal a day. She needed that much or she lost weight. In the last 8 months, we dropped it to 1.5lbs because she had put on a few pounds. So now I will drop it to 1lb and add green beans to her meals. So far she is loving the green beans. Wish us luck!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the titles! That is wonderful!
    Good luck with trying to get her to lose a few pounds! That is so difficult!
    The green beans worked great for Sherman when we needed him to lose a few extra pounds last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the titles! I haven't run U-Fli at all with my dogs yet, it just isn't offered in our area.

    And good luck with the diet. I keep my dogs very lean, so much so that most standard pet owners we run into accuse me of starving them, especially Koira. Actually, they are both a little chunkier right now than I like seeing them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :)

    K-Koira: this is our first year running UFli and only our second tournament. There are a good number of Ufli tournaments in the area but we mostly stick to NAFA.

    Sophie used to be lean, very much so that I also got those "why are you starving your dog" comments. She had an incredibly high metabolism. I guess it has slowed down somewhat and I really just didn't notice because I still saw a defined waist and tuck up. But now that it has been brought to my attention, we are going to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats!!

    we have almost the opposite problem with desmond. the boy is so so so skinny. he's part greyhound, so it's normal, but we feed him more than enough and he doesn't gain. it's strange. good luck with your little doggie diet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new titles! Seems U-Fli is really taking over where I live, hardly any NAFA tournaments anymore, which is fine by me as I like the lower jump heights and the warmup countdown clock in U-Fli.

    I like to keep my dogs on the lean side as well, figure better to be a bit under than over weight, but they do fluctuate a bit up and down over the course of a year. And it does seem we just can't win -- one person's lean dog is another person's starving dog; it's all in the eyes of the beholder, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Sophie and you know what the right weight for her is. Green beans are a great way to keep extra pounds away. Koly gets beans, broccoli, pumpkin, spinach, kale, - all sorts of veggies! Whatever I have handy in the house :0) He loves it - and we are sure seeing a difference in his waistline.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...